What To Do If You Have Been Spiked

What To Do If You Have Been Spiked
26th January 2018 Advice

What To Do If You Have Been Spiked

Everyone is aware of their personal tolerance to alcohol so if you feel odd, nauseous, tipsy or wasted and you know that you cannot be drunk, it is possible that your drink has been spiked with either drugs or alcohol.

If so, immediately get to a place of safety. If you are with close friends, tell them of your worries and get them to take you home as quickly as possible. Once safely home, ask them to stay with you until the effects of the drug have worn off.

Group drinking together

DFSA (Drug Facilitated Sexual Abuse)

However, be very sure that you implicitly trust the person or friend you are asking. Many victims of DFSA (Drug Facilitated Sexual Abuse) have been attacked by people they know, by workmates, colleagues, friends or acquaintances, and in some cases, the person they went on a date with that night.

If you are alone or with a stranger, go to the landlord or pub/bar manager and tell them of your fears. Get the landlord to put you in his private accommodation or an office whilst they ring a taxi, a trusted friend, or your parents to help get you home safely. If at all possible, always make sure that you are accompanied by a trusted friend.

If you fear you’ve had sex whilst under the influence of drugs taken unwillingly through a drink being spiked, and if you wish the police to be involved – report it!

Making a cocktail at the bar

Go straight to the police, preferably the specialist officers dealing with rape and sexual abuse, and insist that they take blood and urine samples. It could prove to be vital forensic evidence. In order to establish a case, it is vital that the police have the opportunity to take these samples as soon as possible as the drugs used in DFSA pass through the system very quickly (some within 12 hours, others in 48). It is also advisable to make sure you are accompanied by a friend, relation or even better, a solicitor.