An important part of our work is to provide educational materials to young people and support teachers in raising awareness about travelling safely. Statistically, increasing numbers of young people and students in the UK are taking gap years and travelling experiences.
Through the provision of travel education and advice, we are working to equip young travellers with the essential knowledge that they need to stay safe and enjoy fantastic adventures.
Our presentations are offered primarily to Schools, Colleges and Universities. We have trained experienced travellers across the UK to facilitate these discussions in the form of talks and group sessions with students, highlighting the benefits and pitfalls of world travel.
The Time of Your Life
In 2005 we produced a short film, which offered two different scenarios highlighting potential dangers faced by travellers aboard. The objective was to stimulate conversation and get people talking about their personal safety.
“We wanted to speak directly to our next generation of travellers. Highlighting the potential risks involved in world travel, but also to inspire them to travel and take their opportunity to see the world.”
Caroline’s Rainbow Foundation’s education program operates throughout the UK. Each presentation is personalised to the speaker, but all include important verified safety advice and information.
Presentations to Students
Our sessions usually run for about an hour and include a 15 minute question and answer session. Although they can be tailored to the time available. The verbal presentations are accompanied by a PowerPoint presentation highlighting travel opportunities and situations the speaker has experienced, useful hints, tips and firsthand information. The slides are interlaced with practical visuals to show travel safety awareness strategies and risk assessments as well as preparation and research schedules.
Our aim is to stimulate and inspire students by showing them the amazing travel opportunities available to them, as well as engaging them with safety techniques and raising awareness of potential dangers.
We kindly ask for a minimum donation of £50 plus travel costs to help us continue our work in supporting young travellers. Please note; some speakers also charge a fee. Thank You.
If you are interested in a presentation for your School, College, University or organisation, please get in touch.
- "Caroline’s Rainbow Foundation is an amazing organisation. Richard’s passion for travel and for planning ahead and reducing risk made them think about travel in a different way. It also made them think about how to get the most out of their opportunities for travel." Anne Connor Head of S6 History and Modern Studies Teacher. George Heriot's School, Edinburgh
- "Richard gave a great illustrated lecture to our Sixth Form. His talk seamlessly combined the essential travel safety advice at the heart of the Foundation with inspirational accounts of his own adventures. Students were captivated by Richard’s stories and pictures of him stroking tiger cubs, white water rafting or enjoying sunset on an Australian beach, encouraging them to explore the world too. But as Richard said, much of the advice applies just as much to a trip to London or any other big city. I would certainly invite him back to speak to the next cohort of students." Ben Fuller Head of Government & Politics. St Peter’s School, York
- "The images used excited students and Richard’s message of mindfulness is highly relevant. He encouraged them to step away from their smart phones, switch off social media and be present in the moment – advice that really resonated. Of course, the message of safe, well-planned and thoughtful travel is imperative to the work of Caroline’s Rainbow Foundation. Feedback from students highlighted their appreciation that effective planning can result in safer and perhaps even more enjoyable travel. We were so pleased to be able to support the fantastic work of Caroline’s Rainbow Foundation, promoting the joy of travel while furnishing students with the information and skills to do it safely." Leanne Norton Assistant Head of Sixth Form. All Saints RC School, York
- "The app is a great idea and I’ll definitely use it. I think the most important message that I took from the talk is the need to prepare and plan for world travel. There is a lot more to consider than I was initially aware but Richard outlined useful questions that could help us to prepare. Caroline’s story really made me realise that travel can be amazing but that we should always take our personal safety seriously." Year 12 Student
- "I really enjoyed the presentation by Richard from Caroline’s Rainbow Foundation. The message was an important one – to be aware, prepared and sensible while travelling. However, this cautious message was delivered in a way that left me feeling inspired and excited to travel in the future. I enjoyed Richard’s personal stories about the many adventures he has had – I can’t wait to have similar experiences perhaps on a Gap Year. The presentation was not only inspirational but I also found it aspirational." Year 12 Student
- "We were thrilled to welcome Richard Stuttle to All Saints this October as part of our PSHE programme for the Sixth Form. The theme of the day was ‘Life After All Saints’ and our aim was to inspire students to think creatively about their futures. As a keen traveller myself, I actively encourage my students to see the wonderful world around them – but to do so safely is an essential message. Richard’s presentation perfectly echoed these sentiments." All Saints RC School, York
Our Safer Travel Interactive Workshops are delivered by our special tutors who are all experienced travellers and have undergone our extensive training program.
Our tutors fully understand our safety principles, awareness techniques and strategies. They deliver comprehensive travel and safety workshops adding some of their own personal stories and anecdotes from their adventures.
VR Experience | The Airport
We have developed a ‘Virtual Reality Airport Scenario’ for travellers to have a fully immersive experience, checking in at the airport and boarding a flight. Packed with safety insights and awareness objectives, the VR experience is a game changer for people understanding the risks when travelling.
- “The interactive workshop includes many safety techniques and awareness strategies. As well as our K.A.R safety principles, which we have developed over 19 years working with travel safety. Now, adding the VR experience is revolutionary, it cements our information and enhances understanding around travel safety. In essence if a similar situation were to arise in the future, people would be experiencing it for the second time. They will already know instinctively what to do.” Richard Stuttle Charity Founder
Travellers Interactive Workshop
The workshop is tailored to the needs of the group, we have 8 essential modules which cover all the travel safety essentials. The in-person workshops also include the VR Experience. There are also a selection of travel specific modules which are tailored to the requirements of the group.
- Module 1 – Planning your adventure
- Module 2 – Before your adventure begins
- Module 3 – Preparation and booking
- Module 4 – Post pandemic travel
- Module 5 – Personal and well-being
- Module 6 – The K.A.R principles
- Module 7 – Maximising your opportunities
- Module 8 – Returning home
Additional modules (Choose 3 – tailor your safety course)
- Module A – Winter Ski and snowboard escapes
- Module B – Summer surfing, diving and beach sports
- Module C – Camping and glamping
- Module D – City breaks, weekend escapes
- Module E – All-inclusive Hotels
- Module F – Road trips, camper vans and car hire
- Module G – Backpacking, extended holidays
- Module H – Organised tours
- Module I – Family holidays
- Module J – Study aboard
- Module K – Volunteering opportunities
- Module L – Female travel
- Module M – Solo travel
Find out more about our Travel Safety Workshops.
With the COVID-19 pandemic we recorded conversations with Richard Stuttle discussing travel and travel safety. Watch all videos on our YouTube Channel and don’t forget to subscribe to keep up to date with our videos and travel safety information.
Caroline’s Rainbow Foundation
A registered UK charity, working to raise awareness of the importance of safer travel to anyone going travelling. We work with the education sector, the Foreign Office and other organisations to provide easily accessible and helpful information about safe travel.
Watch all 6 Episodes
For people who are unable to attend a live presentation we have created 6 short bite size videos, offering an insight into travelling and travel safety.